What we saw happen was not the best team coming out cropper. It was a one sided encounter, where
1. The fielding. No no no.. I am not complainting that our players aren't athletic enough or dont know how to dive. That was the past. Indian fielders didnt even run hard to get to the ball. Munaf Patel, 23 years of age, hailing from a farming family and once known to the fastest bowler in India, can not bend AT ALL when fielding on fine leg. I cant beleive he has fitness issues or is too old to risk his back. McGrath, 37 doesn't think twice before sliding 6 feet to disallow the opposition 1 extra run. But Munaf cant.
2. Team Communication/ Strategy. Its over no 40 (or nearabout) and Mohd Kaif is leaving deliveries outside the Off stump.. not just once but a couple of times atleast. WTF is that? Is he trying to play out the 50 overs or what? Someone needs to find out. Same is the case with Raina. He is trying his best to score a single. He manages after 3 dot balls. And its over no 43, with
3. Dinesh Mongia. Whats he doing inside the 11? I know Yuvi is injured. But thats no excuse. Specially at no 3. He is not a International class batsman. And he proved it earlier. This guy isnt sure what to do with the bat. He might be decent with the ball now, but definitely doesnt quality as a batsman and definitely not as an allrounder either.
4. Mohd Kaif. I had over the years supported Kaif. But I think his time is up. He doesnt fit in the team anymore. And the lower order more so. He isnt a slasher or even a stroke maker. He is struggler who will nudge here and there and never cross the strike rate of 75. Natwest was an abberation. Indian management is fooling itself by keeping him at No.5 or 6. I personally think its time for him to go. Try someone new.
5. Captaincy. The more I see of Dravid, the more I miss Ganguly. Atleast Ganguly, the captain. He understood his cricket better and was more passionate about winning and his team. If that amounted to screaming on the field, so be it. Dravid sometimes comes across as too placid and within himself to motivate his team. He did not introduce spin and specifically Bhajji until Aussie were already 120 odd. We had already lost by the time Harbhajan had a bowl. He kept persisting with Pathan (who was bowling better, though was still being clobbered), Munaf (who was an idiot all this match) and Sreesanth (erratic at best). You need to keep trying something if Plan A isnt working. You cant just keep going downhill and expect them to make a mistake. I dont know what we can do there.. but its a major area of concern.
6. Attitude. The Indian Teams attitude sucks... And the worst is that the Team management including Chappel hasn't managed to work on it. You have to see them to beleive that they had lost the match by the time they arrived on the Mohali ground to play. They completed the formality in 95 odd overs. Losing isnt always a disgraceful thing, but not trying is.
If not sacking the key culprits, I think a severe reprimand of the entire team is the least, the coach and management can do. Or we should resign ourselves to our fate, which is all black and blue.